Friday, July 15, 2011

Junky Art

Here I am again! I'm feeling a little bit more energized and was able to squeeze in a little project for my sister's gallery wall. The motivation was there because I'll be visiting her and wanted to give her something new.

My sister and nephew both have a little saying that has become something of an inside joke within the family; 'You just don't understand'. This is a saying that must be memorialized and why not paint it?

I started with just a simple stencil on a 4x6 canvas board



Even with measuring beforehand, I ran out of room on the word 'Understand'. Oops. Scrubbing off the wet paint created a distressed, old look. It kind of evolved from there; stenciling and wiping it off, showing a little of the canvas texture and letting it look rubbed off.

The canvas was fine by itself, but needed a little something more. After trying a number of things to mount it on, I came up with this little country-ish sign from my stash:



I stained the wood a little bit darker color (my fav - Jacobean) and the painting didn't completely cover the original saying, but two layers of burlap worked perfectly and gave it a new feel.



Not too crazy about the hot glue showing through. I took some stuff from my odds and ends, and came up with some junky, funky designs.



The thumb tacks take up one side, and my little nuts and bolts flower take up the other. I added a little hangar to the back and here's the finished project:

I added 'Old Chicago Proverb' as a joke.  I crack myself up :D

What sayings are said over and over in your family? Shouldn't they be memorialized?

10 comments:

  1. That's very creative and crafty. I'm a new follower from Blogaholic. You should come by my blog. I'm having a blog hop, today. http://www.meldreamsoften.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the nuts and bolts flower! We have lots of saying in my family that should definitely be memorialized. Great idea!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I want to make a sign for my friend "go jump in a lake" we love that saying and yes grew up on a lake together. (she still lives on one so it would look awesome in her camp) - I think this would be a great way to do it! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And I'm glad you're doing projects that make you happy again (or focusing on them again)! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love personalised presents like that. It looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it ~ Great job ~ very creative ~ Love those great quotes ~ enjoy ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, We have many sayings. I think my favourite is "I'm the mommy, that's why". lol

    A great post Jill, thanks for sharing it.

    Jo

    http://Thriftytablechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Because I said so! Didn't go over too good, but I always said it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is absolutely inspired! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts! I appreciate each and every one of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...